Skip to main content

What Is A Limerick- How To Write One!

 What Is A Limerick?

A limerick is a famous and humorous type of poetry written for the purpose of humour.

Although the origination of the limerick is unknown but one of the most popular limerick composer Edward Lear gave rise this form. Even, Edward published his popular book known as "A book of none sense"and he's known for his remarkable work ever since.
A traditional limerick;
  • Contains a single stanza.
  • Each stanza is composed of five lines.
  • The poem follows anapestic meter.
  • The strictly follows a rhyme scheme which is AABBA.
  • the first, second and the fifth line contains seven to ten syllables.
  • the first, second and the fifth line must rhyme.
  • the third and fourth contains five to seven syllables. 
The following given below are three limericks, following the above given rules.                                         

 Trio Of Limericks


Limerick 1- One Reason

“An apple a day keeps doctor away”,
For years or just one day?
Then I’d have a thousand reasons,
To hate worms in summer season,
As to eat a rotten apple one day!

 


Limerick 2- On Beach

Idyllic summer on seashore and beach,
Champagne and dulcet juice of peach,
Parched like dunes of sand,
Sitting-up, with grit in hand,
Still too far from an arm reach!

 


Limerick 3- Lost Things

Tell me where I lost my glue,
O dear life give me just one clue,
A long story was to end when,
Thine pen broke in the middle then,
Oh! did you lost the other one too?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born To Fly: 14 August Pakistan Independence Day Poem

Our beloved country Pakistan is the result of drive, dedication and determination of many courageous and keen leaders including Quaid-i-Azam, Allama Iqbal, and many more. 14th August marks the end of British rule and partition which lead to the freedom movement. At this day we owe our country and our leaders a farewell and and a million thanksgivings! Here you shall discover some of the new and best patriotic poetry and patriotic poems featuring the poem "Born To Fly" and many more for the wonderful occasion of Pakistan independence day 2021 . Born To Fly - 14 August Pakistan Independence Day Poem Pakistan Flag. We were restless under a red sky, As every instance took away our breath, With every tick our hopes would die, that life was chasing our death. But life was holding on for life, On the sharp edge of a blunt knife! Birth was a curse and so was living, Unborn hawks were unborn slaves, When life was meant only giving, And our muddy fortresses were open graves; Upon which...

I Am A Poet: Short Rhyming Poems About Being Yourself

We often ask ourselves questions such as; Who am I? Where did I came from? Why I was born? Why am I like this? What are my special powers? and so on. These are called the basic questions of life and such questions arise in our minds through our senses and curiosity to discover ourselves. The element that makes us humans special is that we ask questions about our existence and our surroundings. In a nutshell, striving for the answers of those questions sum the purpose of life and living! Keeping the discussion in context here you will discover the short rhyming poems about being yourself featuring the motivational poem "I am a poet" and many more. So, let's get going! I  Am A Poet: Short Rhyming Poems About Being Yourself I am a poet, A poet am I, Why am I a poet, I never knew why? I am a poet, About night I write, Afraid when even, The day is bright! I am a poet, Afraid to be, The voice that rings, Inside of me! I am a poet, With broken wings, A bird in cage, That still d...

A Bird In A Cage

A Bird In A Cage   Every dawn, My damp eyes open wide.   Would this be the day, I will be able to born a flight? Will this be the day, I waited for day and night?   Without a hesitation, I can mention, Their spiteful intentions. Perhaps they want me, To sing sweet songs, As long as, A never ending marathon.   I know, I was born to glow, Destined to sing sweet songs, But for real, I do not belong, To a steel made home, Suffering here all alone.   All my fears, All my tears, Living in my nightmares, It is not fair, I can’t bear.   They say; My fascinating features, Especially my vivid feathers, Make them blissful.   Why don’t they set me free, So they can see, What I actually meant to be, Flying up high in the sky.   All is lost, But I still hope; What-if they set me free, So I can flee, To the wild unseen.